Dear Future Self


Dear 50-year-old self,

            As I’m writing this, it is Tuesday June 2nd, 2020 and I am 15 years old. I turn 16 this year, and it’s crazy to think about how much I’ve been through and witnessed these past years. This year has been filled with so much sadness and suffering and it’s hard to wrap my head around what is happening all around me. Last summer, the summer before freshmen year, one of the best summers I’ve had in a while is when everything completely changed. It is the last week of school and I will officially be through with my first year of high school, it feels like just yesterday I was in 8th grade, sitting at my desk thinking, wow, I’m going to be in high school next year. This year has definitely been one that I will never forget. 2020 is halfway over and it isn’t exactly going how I hoped. On March 11th, COVID-19 (Corona Virus) was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization. Everything escalated quickly from there. On March 13th, we were let out of school for a “2-week break”. We are now approaching the last day of school and we haven’t been back since. Online school has been a struggle but also has really opened my eyes to things I have never thought about before. I’ve learned how I learn best and how much time I need to give myself to complete assignments, while also making sure my mental health is in check. I have really been keeping up with my work and I am looking forward to ending the year on a good note. In the past 2 weeks or so, restrictions are slowly being lifted and I have been able to hang out with more of my friends in person rather than just on FaceTime or over text. It has been really hard these past few months and I am finally starting to get back to some normalcy. We are required to wear face masks in public areas, and many things are still closed like restaurants and shops. The governor has different stages that we will be going through so we can back to our normal lives. As of now, we are approaching phase 2. I am very excited for these next couple of weeks because that means our summer might look be somewhat normal. 
I hope things are good in the world right now for you because at the moment it is getting harder to see the good. Recently it has been especially hard with protests and rioting and looting across the country due to the support of Black Lives Matter and the tragic death of George Floyd. I have done my best to educate myself as well as other people on the issue and I won't get into all of my thoughts in this letter but I do strongly believe that we need to change. I hope you're still pushing through and being the best you can be for yourself and others. In my life up to right now, I have learned to keep myself  going and as my favorite quote says, “Be safe, please be smart, and treat people with kindness.”-Harry Styles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Punic Wars

Test and slides 32-42